4.27.2011

Tangible Thoughts

I love to write. There's just something about making thoughts tangible that inspires me. And to be honest, it also scares me. Spoken words are often lost, forgotten or denied. Written words may last centuries, even the most insignificant. Copies of letters that were never meant to be read are common knowledge, but whispered conversations are kept between friends.

For this reason, I am both thrilled and terrified by the idea of setting my words to paper a blog. In twenty years, I'll have the option to reminisce about my life. I intend it to be noteworthy, so hopefully it will be a good read. On the other hand, I am making them available to others, which seems like an awfully big responsibility to me. I realize that no one is required to read what I write, but to those that invest time in my thoughts, I'd like to give them something meaningful.

I was speaking with Elaina about my fear of being un-0riginal. What could I possibly say that would hold meaning to my readers (my readers? how strange).We never came to a satisfying answer, just that some people could indeed accomplish it. Within the next week, two of the people I follow posted these quotes:

Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it. -C. S. Lewis
I don’t believe in originality. You take inspiration from whatever moves you and you find your voice in those things.” - Tom Walker
These thoughts, which happened to be "original" to me, inspire me to write despite fears or uncertainty of direction. I will simply tell the truth and find my voice. I hope over the coming weeks and months that I not only am able to create a memoir for myself but say something that resonates with others.


So take a walk with me, following my meandering mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment